Sunday, August 3, 2014

Magandang Hapon Minamahal Pamilya!

July 16, 2014

Magandang Hapon Minamahal Pamilya!

Kumusta po kayo?  Mabuti kami.  We have been very busy!  I have got to be better at sending emails every week.  I can't remember what I have written about.  In the last 2 weeks we have done a lot of traveling, as the 2nd counselor in the Mission presidency wanted us to show them each of the areas in our District and also show them where the Elders' apartments are in each area.  That is President and Sister Hiatt, and they live in Puerto.  We invited the other senior couple, the Newsons, to come with them.  So that was traveling for 2 days (on Wed and Thur of week before last) to Aborlan, Quezon, Rizal, Brooke's Point, and Cabar, but we really had a good time with them.  I especially enjoyed it, because I am the only sister missionary in the Narra District.  It was nice to have some English speaking women to visit with.  Then we had to go back to Rizal on Sunday (last Sunday) and then on Monday we had to go back to Quezon, Cabar and Brooke's Point.  We moved the Elders in BP to a new apartment.  It was only suppose to take about 2 hours but ended up taking about 5 hours because there was a problem with the kitchen faucet. 

Most of the rest of last week Dad was sick or I was sick.  Dad's we think was some bad food, were not sure what my problem was.  But, we are much better now.  

Tomorrow we go to Puerto for our interviews with the new mission president, President Ostler.  Then the rest of the week we will be going on visits with our BP to the leadership of our Branch.  Next week is our Branch conference, and we are having a special leadership meeting, so we are going to personally invite each person who is in a leadership position to come to the meeting.  

The English class is going well.  We had about 12 there on Saturday. We have a variety of ages.  I was surprised, but also happy that we have a couple of older couples coming. I taught the 2 sisters that come for cooking class how to do donuts again.  One of the sisters asked if we could do it again because she had tried them and they didn't turn out very well.  So we did that, and I had them do all of it, I just gave them a little direction, and they turned out even better than before!  So the one sister went home and made them and then sold them.  She sold them all so that was really good.  She has also had her husband make her an outdoor oven our to bricks.  She has made pizza and, I can't remember the other thing she told me.  It is a little difficult because it is heated with fire, so she needs to get the hang of it, but I am so proud of her for trying and working so hard to improve their situation.  We will do cream puffs this week.  I just let them decide what they want to learn. Oh, and this week we will have another sister - one that just moved into our Branch from Manila, I think. We may have one other sister come as well.  My neighbor across the street is friends with Sister Abrigo, the sister that first asked me to teach her to bake.  When my neighbor saw her come here she asked her why.  Sister Abrigo told her and she said, Oh, with the American?  Can I come next time?  I said that would be great - a missionary opportunity.  I had talked to this neighbor before and asked if she would like to meet with the missionaries.  She said, I'm too busy, but maybe next time. Maybe something will come of it.  Anyway, I enjoy it, and I think it is so good for these two sisters.  They have a lot of challenges, and it is a nice break for both of them.

We have had 3 baptisms in the last 2 weeks.  One was a young women whom the missionaries have been working with for several months.  She wanted to get baptized, but her parents were against it.  She is old enough to get baptized without their permission, but she loves them and did not want to disobey them.  However, the Elders told us that they were teaching her one evening and the Spirit was so strong and she just said she was going to be baptized.  They always have newly members bear their testimonies after they are baptized and I only understood a little bit, but the Spirit was really strong there, and the Elders told us afterwards that she bore a powerful testimony that she loves her parents very much, but she also knows the Church is true and that baptism was the right thing to do. Last night 2 more relatives of Sister Pamulag were baptized.  I am not sure if they are her niece and nephew or what, one was Kyla, a young woman, probably 12, and the other was Gilbert, a young man, 16 I think.  He also bore a very strong testimony. It is just really an incredible experience to see these young people grow in their understanding and accept the truth.  We have seen some really amazing youth come into the Church.  We can see that the Lord is building His Kingdom here through the youth

We really do love it here! And feel so blessed to be having this experience.  On my birthday Maxine sent me an email wishing me a happy birthday and she said some thing like, Did you ever think you would be spending your 58th birthday in the Philippines serving the Lord?  I could honestly say, NO, I never thought of that, but I am just so thankful that this is where we are now.

Not too many new or exciting things here.  It is cooler, and rainy.  We understand it will rain even more, so that could be interesting.  We had a terrific storm this afternoon, and the electricity has been off all day.  But, being spoiled as we are, we have a generator, so we really don't suffer too much!  Well, I know if I would write each week I wouldn't write such long letters, but, where is the time??? The week just slips by!.

Oh, just a quick update on our Sandoval group.  We go out there for Sacrament meeting when we are here.  They are wonderful people, but the group is struggling.  Today we only had 19 there.  With such a small group the Sacrament doesn't take long so we started the testimony and I just thought, oh, this isn't going to be long...we will probably get out early because they'll be done with testimonies and what else do you do.  But, the WHOLE time was taken up these wonderful members sharing their testimonies!  There is such strength in those few members!  We just need to work harder to build up that area because I just feel that there is so much potential. It was a REALLY good meeting.  I actually understood a little.

Well, we hope you are all doing great!  And enjoying your summer.  They are back in school here - started the first of June. Oh, and Jezebelle Magsino, she was one of the first baptisms after we arrived here, she is the cute girl who was pregnant, not married.  Anyway, she had her baby on my birthday.  And she is so cute!  Her name is Shayne Lee. I'm not sure if it is one name or two.  Well, better run.  Actually don't have plans for tonight but we have to get up early to leave for Puerto.

We love and miss you all!  And love hearing from you.  Ingat!  Mahal naming po kayo!

Grandma and Grandpa, Dad and Mom

1 comment:

  1. The story of making donuts reminds me of when Karlene taught us how to make pie crusts, mine turned out beautiful when she was standing nextto me, but I have never been able to make it like that since.

    ReplyDelete